Service Families

Service Children and Higher Education

"If your parent(s) or carer(s) is serving as a Regular or Reservist in the UK Armed Forces, or has done so in the past, your experience of applying to higher education may be different to students from a non-service background.

For example, you may have moved schools more often than most students, or you may have felt unable to participate in extra-curricular activities.

Universities and colleges understand that service children may experience disruption to their education, or may have been restricted in their course choices.

They’re also aware that young people can face additional challenges when a parent or carer is deployed.

They are keen to know about your circumstances, because it allows them to consider your academic achievements in context.

If you feel you have missed any skills or knowledge, they may be able to help through workshops or summer schools."
(Quoted from UCAS - Students from a UK Armed Forces background)

Supporting your Child with their Education

The families federations each have a dedicated area for education on their website and can offer specific support and advice as needed:

Children’s Education Advisory Service (CEAS)
The Children's Education Advisory Service (CEAS) can also be helpful for support with educational matters until students reach the end of compulsory education, including issuing certificates for retention of married quarters during critical stages of education e.g. GCSE and A level examinations.

Student Finance and Support

The following links provide useful information on student finance, in relation to service families:

Funding Information for Families of the UK Armed Forces
Armed Forces Education Trust - Individual Grants

Service Children's Experiences of University

Watch the video below sharing a Service Child's experience of University:

Steffi: being resilient at University - A Military Children Education Resource
(approx. 1.5 minutes long)